The construction of Titanic began on March, 31, 1909.
She was completed on May 31, 1912. A total of 3 years and 2 months...
- March 22, 1909: Placement and positioning of keel blocks.
- March 31, 1909: Titanic’s first keel plate is laid.
- May 15, 1909: Double bottom is fully plated.
- Late November, 1909: Olympic is fully framed. By December 21st Titanic’s framing had accelerated.
- October 19, 1910: Titanic is fully plated. Just in time for Olympic’s launch the following day.
- February 27, 1911: Titanic’s rudder arrived at Harland & Wolff for installation.
- May 5, 1911: Titanic’s anchors (Center anchor, and 2 bower anchors) and anchor equipment arrived at Harland & Wolff for installation.
- Late May, 1911: Titanic was painted and anchors were installed shortly after.
- May 31, 1911: Launch of Titanic. Olympic is completed and accepted by the White Star Line.
- June, 1911 – October, 1911: Titanic is tied up next to the fitting-out wharf.
- June 14, 1911: Foremast is installed and modifications of B deck begin.
- Late June, 1911: Modifications to B Deck continue and the slimmer “Utley’s vertical sliding windows” are installed.
- September, 1911: Installation of the funnels begins.
- October, 1911: Titanic is moved into the Thompson graving dock.
On September 20th, Olympic collided with the USS Hawke. Olympic was brought to Belfast for repairs on October 5th. Parts were taken from Titanic to speed up the process and to get Olympic back into service as soon as possible.
- October 5, 1911: Titanic is moved out of the graving dock to make way for Olympic.
- November 20, 1911: Olympic is repaired, and Titanic is moved back into the graving dock.
On an east bound crossing from New York, Olympic threw a propeller blade in mid ocean. Again materials were taken from Titanic.
- March 2, 1912: Titanic is moved back out of the graving dock to make way for Olympic.
- March 6, 1912: Olympic is repaired, and Titanic is moved back into the graving dock. Olympic will leave for Southampton the following day.
- March 8, 1912: Titanic was taken out of the graving dock for the last time, and tied up in the fitting out wharf.
- March 8, 1912 – March 31, 1912: Titanic’s hull receives its final coat of paint, the forward half of the A deck promenade is screened in, and other final details are completed.
- March 31, 1912: Titanic is completed.
- April 1, 1912: Titanic's Sea Trials are scheduled but postponed for the next day due to high winds.
- April 2, 1912: Titanic’s officers conduct her sea trials. She leaves Belfast for Southampton at 8pm. She will be docked in Southampton for one week to prepare for her maiden voyage.
Researched by Joshua Allen Milford. Sources include:
Original H&W documents and designs.
"Titanic: The Ship Magnificent" Volumes 1 & 2 by Bruce Beveridge, Scott Andrews, Steve Hall, and Daniel Klistorner. (2008)
"Titanic In Photographs" by Daniel Klistorner, Art Braunschweiger, Scott Andrews, Bruce Beveridge, Steve Hall (2011)
"Anatomy of the Titanic" by Tom McCluskie (1998)